Monday, October 6, 2014

What a (ka)HOOT!

Kahoot is a game-based classroom response system where one can create a game-show activity with questions one personally writes, making it appropriate for any kind of discipline or content. The teacher OR the students can create the games/quizzes. As explained by Educational Consultant Glenn Weibe: 

Using a simple drag and drop tool, educators create and manage “Kahoots” in the form of quizzes, surveys or polls related to the topics they’re teaching; either asking quick questions to get feedback or opinion, or more in depth questions for formative assessment.
One of the big differences between Socrative and Kahoot! is that the questions are projected on a screen in front of students – much like the video bar trivia game. Your kids use any smart device and browser – phone, tablet, or computer – to join the Kahoot using a specific PIN number. You provide the question and possible answers.  The kids see the answers on their device and select the answer they think is correct. This is the other difference between Kahoot! and other student response systems – it’s not an app, so it’s device neutral making it perfect for BYOD schools or for classrooms with a variety of devices.
(http://historytech.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/kahoot-equals-easy-fun-gamified-assessment/) 

In my Spanish classroom, after completing a recent "What I did last summer" preterite tense project with Spanish 2 students, I created this game as a review:

https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/65e36207-1e93-4812-bebf-bf01e34cb9f9 

Please see another example from my 6th grade review games I created at this link: https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/ad330c83-a734-4444-889c-0d0ba5ee3eb3

Please feel free to use or adapt any of my Kahoots.

Another one I used when teaching Latin American capitals is this good one here:

South American capitals: https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/967571f4-855c-4031-96be-93a44c26cb75

You have the option to copy them, and then edit them to your taste. What a FANTASTIC activity, and I promise your students of any age will love it! Now, my goal is to try to play it with another classroom across the globe simultaneously while Skyping -- stay tuned! 









2 comments:

  1. My students in grades 3-5 beg for me to use Kahoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Every day, they ask me if we can play it. Recently, as part of my selection of "Task Cards," students could choose to create a Kahoot. We all are truly addicted!

      Delete